slide show

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Griswold family does the State Fair-Part II



When Papa and I were younger, much younger, children really, practically babies, on one of our first big dates he took me to the Arizona State Fair.  We were living and both raised in a small town in the Arizona mountains.  Picture pinetrees and a Norman Rockwell town square.  My dad was a fireman and my mom was a teacher.  It was an idealic small-town blue-collar childhood.  So when Papa and I were 16, he took me on the 90 minute drive down the mountain to the "big city" to go to the state fair.  (Yes, Papa and I were highschool sweethearts, and he's still stuck with sweet on me.  There's a sappy love letter, I wrote about him here.  Still not sure why God saw me fit to have this incredible man as my partner, but here we still are 25 years later.)  Small town girl I was, I walked around the Arizona State Fair with wide eyes and took it all in.  Blue ribbon banana bread, goats, a huge ferris wheel all lit up, and at the end of the day the most wonderful thing happened, the demolition derby.  Of course I had seen a demolition derby before... on tv.  I avidly watched Happy Days every Tuesday night and saw Fonzie battle the evil Malachi Brothers, and Pinky Tuscadero risked her life and battled it out in the demolition derby, only to be rescued by our valiant hero, Fonzie.  Then it was on to Laverne & Shirley.  I wanted to be Shirley, but let's face it, I was Laverne.  Can I get an amen from the 40 somethings?  It was great television to grow up with.  

Sorry I got side tracked.  That hardly ever happens around here!

So at the end of this wonderful day, Papa and I, 16 years old, sat in the grandstands and watched true redneck, blue-collar entertainment at it's finest, the demolition derby.  There was smoke and fire, and it was so loud it hurt my ears.  It was wonderful!  It was one of the best days of my life, and I still remember it.  
We've tried to go to the state fair and demolition derby night every year since.   In the beginning it was just the two of us.  He'd pick me up from work, and I'd do the fair in heels and pantyhose.  Then the babies came, and we hauled them around too.  Many years I was pregnant and would feel the baby stir inside me from the loud noise.  Last year Tess and Jujube were only 1 month adopted and just too scared of the world around them to go.  So we begrudgingly skipped the it last year.  But this year for the first time, all 8 of us spent a whole day at the fair and topped it off with the demolition derby finale.  
A bashed up but lucky car #7 won this year.  The crowd roared.  My heart swooned.  It was wonderful.
So now on with the show...  part II of the Griswold Family at the State Fair...








What's a fair without "fair food!"  I love seeing them all lined up waiting for their snow cones.

Boo looks like he's hit the jackpot with his snow cone.
Livy's snow cone was obviously some sort of blue flavor.
Eggroll on a stick any one?
We visited the petting zoo of course, and Tess had a fascination with goat ears.  She giggled when they twitched and loved touching their velvety softness.
So here're my daredevils, Patch and Livy.  It's funny how both are so very adventurous, but anticipate excitement differently.  Livy looks like she may be having second thoughts.  Patch, not so much!
Up up and away!
Ok, so I'm kinda holding my breath at this point, wondering if all those nuts and bolts were securily tightened and wondering about the vast continuing education that carnival ride operators must have.  Did Livy tighten her strap?  Does Patch have on clean underwear?

Look closely and you'll see them on the outside at 3 o'clock.
Upside down at 11 o'clock
Safely back on the ground!  Whewwwww!  Mama breathing again.
One last little tid bit... Sunny, 15, has one ticket left.  She's opts to use it on the juvenile slide ride with Boo, 7.  Good girl, Sunny!  He'll remember this someday when he's 17 and you have a flat tire that needs to get changed.

PS - The final installment of the Griswold Family fair coming next.
PPS -  I finally have the recipe for bánh mì  ready to post, almost.  It's coming soon.  Mmmmmmm

5 comments:

  1. What beautiful kids! Love the photos of them too - really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the story, but for some reason the goat ears make me smile the most. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic photos of your fun at the state fair. No photos of you all eating a fried Milky Way bar which is classic fair food! lol A snowcone is much healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your tradition! and it answered a question for me, since while driving in phx last week i saw several of those beat up cars w/ numbers on them on trailers on the highway and had no clue what they were.

    you photos are, as always, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011