slide show

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Hi

I'll start by saying this post is difficult to write. Like exposing your weaknesses.
Everyone wants the best for their children... and prays for it.  Everyone wants their children to be gifted and talented and not for it all to come easily, but to know enough so it's not hard all the time.

Breathe

At every turn I seem to run into little ones who talk, no ramble, with ease.  Answer questions. Say their name.  Speak in sentences. Identify their noses and eyes and ears.  Ask questions.  And the other little ones adopted from VietNam seem to have come through it all so unscathed.  So unaffected by it all and many are even "advanced" in their development.  It's good.  Really good.  And the way it should be.

Tess says two words now.  Sometimes when she sees new people at the store or when Papa comes home, she says hi.  Tess also says yay.  At the end of a song and when she's excited she says yay, yay, yay, yay and claps her hands for the joy of it all.  Tess's speech is about that of a 12 month old.  Tess is 26 months old now. 

Breathe

It's hard not to worry. It's really hard not to worry. I worry... a lot. I don't need a perfect gifted child. I just want Tess to reap joy and love from the world. I want her to love God and love others. It's important to remind myself of the circumstances of her first 12 months when we couldn't be there to coo at her and hold her and assure her. She handled it differently than her crib mates at the orphanage. Now I can see how her personality would do that. When it gets bad or challenging, Tess seems to internalize everything, take it all in and bury it and sink into her oblivion. At 2 I can easily see that! Papa and I saw it in her pictures when she was 10 months old. It's an amazing revelation of her sole through her eyes. Did I mention I worry a little from time to time?

Breathe

So enter stage left... Miss Betsy.  Tess and Jujube each see Miss Betsy one time per week for speech therapy.  Miss Betsy is camera shy, and I assured her that pics would only be in black and white and with a soft focus.  I assure you that Miss Betsy looks awesome in color and a crisp focus too!  She is so wonderful at captuing T&J's attention and engaging them.  With blowing bubbles. 

And climbing.

And Playdough.

And airplane hunting of course! 

They love to spend time with her!  And she can get them to say things, like hi and yay. 
Keep up the good work, Miss Betsy.  You know I just had a type-o and typed Keep up the god work, Miss Betsy.  Yes,  please keep up God's work Miss Betsy.  In His plan, He unites just the right people at just the right time.

And I'll try to stop worrying.


PS-I just did spell check, and yay isn't a word.

Breathe

2 comments:

  1. I know now for the first time about how moms worry. Goodness. I can see it in Tessa's eyes - that girl knows WAY more than she is letting on.

    Our Emma is 22 months of age and she says a lot of words, but doesn't offer them up readily. We haven't heard her say more than 2 words together at a time and that is a rarity. Yet I am not worried. I know those words are in there and they will come out one of these days and then we won't be able to keep her quiet! :) Her speech is not very clear either which "worries" me, but....

    I know what you are saying - hard not to compare these Vietnamese children with one another, but they are all unique just as we Caucasians are all unique.

    I can't tell you not to worry, because that is just what we moms do - and we do it well! lol

    Have a FUN Halloween with those beautiful children of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog and wanted to offer up some encouragement. Our son came home from VN 5/08 when he was 26 months old. He had no language at all...didn't even babble. He did do EI for 9 months, though unlike you, I was so not impressed with our speech therapist. He has been home 18 months now and it has just been in the past few months that he has had a language explosion. Three word sentences...pronouns...lots and lots of new vocabulary. It is so exciting.

    All this to say, you are doing the right things and it is so hard not to worry. But sometimes things take time, especially when our children have had not so great early environments. Hang in there.

    Oh, I was born and raised in AZ,though I don't live there now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011