slide show

Saturday, August 29, 2009

If Martha were Vietnamese-- Nước Chanh & Gừng










































In case I haven't mentioned it, it's still blazing hot here in the desert. Hot, like get into your car and feel your thighs melt into the seat-hot. Hot like Patch wants to fry on egg on the back patio, and it's a possibility-hot. Hot like Papa insisted we get a black car and this may be grounds for divorce-hot! It was 116 degrees on Friday as I waited at the bus stop for the kiddos. Did I say waiting... I meant melting!

When the kiddos get home from school, I like to have a snack for them. These days, anything that's cool makes me mother-of-the-year in their eyes. So last week Livy and I made Nước Chanh & Gừng, or ginger lemonade. I found the recipe in my Vietnamese cookbook. Not sure it is a traditional Vietnamese drink, but I do see it very frequently on the menus in Vietnamese restaurants and really one taste and who cares! It is so yummy! Like regular lemonade but with a punch of ginger in the end to spice things up... but in a cool refreshing way! It took a little prep work ahead of time (during nap time of course)




The babes helped out course!




































































Livy squeezes lemons and limes into the ginger syrup.













Jujube "helps" by putting the ice cubes in. I think many were licked before they hit the pitcher. Ya, I know that's wrong, but we're building immune systems!


































TaDa! Can I drink it now mom or are you just gonna keep taking pictures of it?!




Taken from Vietnamese Home Cooking for Everyone (by Andre Nguyen-who cooks at my FAVORITE restaurant down the street and is VN food to die for! If your in our neck of the woods, ask for directions.)

Recipe:

1 oz fresh ginger
1 c sugar
1 c water

2 lemons
2 limes
-Put babes down for nap.

-Peel and slice ginger root thinly. Crush in a mortar or garlic press.
-In a saucepan, add sugar and water and bring to boil. Add ginger.
-Cook 30 to reduce till syrupy. Remove from heat and cool.
-Fight car pool mommies in school parking lot and pick up kiddos while cooling.

-Squeeze lemons and limes and mix juice with ginger syrup.

-Serve over ice cubes.
-Pour yourself a glass and threaten kiddos not to touch YOUR glass, or it'll disappear before you even get a sip! Pour kiddos their own glass (plastic).
-Bargain with older child who did not help with project, but who has homework done to tidy up kitchen in exchange for her own glass of ginger lemonade that she does not have to share. (not having to share in the crazy 8 house is a highly coveted reward!)



I found it far too sweet and strong but easily watered it down with some extra water. I think I'll add more ginger next time too!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds cool. I hope I can try it soon. Ummm, is that your kitchen? Me like : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011