slide show

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Flesh of my flesh...

The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman,' for she was taken out of man." Gen 2:23
I remember when I first REALLY heard this verse, my skin got goose-bumpy, and for the first time I heard each word. Understanding the sanctity of a man and woman united, the same flesh and same bone, together. I still tear up when I think of this verse. I still tear up when I think God saw me fit to be this man's partner.

In the spirit of expanding the blog, I thought I’d start at the beginning and had this lengthy post about Papa and how awesome he is. And let me assure you, he is AWESOME! But he’s my husband, not yours so I figured that the shortened version is probably best for the blog, and I’ll save the longer version for my diary. (And yes, this IS the short version!) So please entertain my ramblings and let me say these things about this wonderful man-

In the beginning... let’s just say that not all our folks were eager to have us pursue a long-term high school relationship. Now that our daughter is exactly the age Papa was when we started dating, 15, I TOTALLY get it!  But even that long ago we felt, probably naively, that we were a part of something bigger than a teenage romance.

Papa and I have been together for 25 years this Sept. (Can I be THAT old?!) We first met in the high school cafeteria on the first day of school. I already had a summer boyfriend, and not knowing this, Papa asked me out for a date. I quickly ended my summer fling, (who is also a wonderful guy, and married my best high school friend!) and we went out. And never once in these 25 years have I ever been able to imagine my life without him by my side.

Papa is a husband that always aims to be home by 5:30 family dinner. This was a deal breaker when he proposed. He is a man that will gladly scoop up all 6 of our kiddos and suggest I go away for the weekend with my girlfriends. This is a man that has been changing diapers almost daily for over 15 years now. I know Papa understands the surrender of adopting a child better than I do. This wonderful man will think out of the box with me, reel me in when necessary, and then push me back out when it's time.

Papa is able to follow the Lord’s path without question and has the wisdom to witness by example. He is the nicest person I know. Last week he bought a distraught woman, a stranger, a cup of coffee when she couldn't find enough change. Then he drove her home as he listened to her stories of a lost child, domestic abuse, psychosis, and CPS. He left her, assuring her that he would pray for her and her son. Her roommate then called the police on him for driving on to the private property of the “group home.” Not strangley, Papa has lots of these stories of encounters with strangers in need.

These days you can find Papa very busy at work, trying to keep our business afloat in this miserable economy. It's no easy task. There's SO much more I could say about that, but let's leave it at that for right now. He loves to play golf and gather with his guy-friends for cigars and wine. He's teaching Livy the "art" of fly fishing. I know it’s corny to say this, but, Papa makes me want to be a better person, a better wife, a better mama, and a better me. I want to do the same for him. I don't know how, and that's precisely why it's called faith, but he is the flesh of my flesh.

Thank you, Papa.
Thank you, God.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011