slide show

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Surgery done, YEA!

Just an update to those of you cyber-buddies asking how it's going.

Our Jude had his surgery on Tuesday. I'm both thankful that it happened and sickened that the US gov't allowed this sweet boy of mine to languish in the orphanage additional unnecessary months that made this extra surgery necessary. Just to clarify, Jude had already had this exact same surgery when he was 4-5 months old. He had all the casts and the orphanage, being uneducated, took the very necessary braces off his feet. When we got Jude, his feet had reverted back to their original position making it necessary to start the whole process over. Yes, I know it was the orphanage that took the braces off, but I still find the USCIS staff in HCMC at fault.  They are educated, knew he was a special needs baby and knew it was important not to waste a moment of time. Yet in the extra months they waited to approve his case, they did not investigate a thing.  His case sat untouched on someone's desk all the while. (getting off my soap box now)

So surgery went well, and we were home by 2:00pm. 2 more weeks with the casts then we move to the braces. Rest assured we will NOT take the braces off this time. He still continues to amaze me with how little the casts slow him down. He crawls all over the place and pulls himself up and scoot around the furniture and is usually covered in bruises from how often he topples over. Yet he keeps on moving. One of my favorite recent comments was at the grocery store. A lady came up very concerned and inquired, "How did that poor baby break BOTH his legs?" Folks have SO many questions when they see us coming! It's hard for them to know which questions to ask first!

Tess continues to learn to eat. She now eats about 3-4 oz of pureed baby food a day. More importantly, she is learning to put in her mouth and that food is not the enemy. I think just sitting in a high chair next to Jude watching him eat, helps her see what to do. She still gets stressed out however, and buries herself in the back of the high chair trying to escape the pressure of it all. (Gotta love her meal in this pic of peanut butter, Fruit Loops, pretzels and Cheetos! Don't ask! It's all in the name of therapy!) We have a pediatric appointment next week too. I'm anxious to see if she has gained more weight.

Tess has also mastered pulling herself up on furniture. Every where she goes, she seems to be looking for a way to get up higher to look around. Several times I have found her IN the toy basket so she is learning to climb too.
More later. I'm impressed with myself if I stay bathed these days. Kinda embarrassing, but I will admit that I FINALLY got the suitcases unpacked. I'm sure that's some sort of record for the longest it took anyone to unpack from a trip. Oh well. At least it is done!

1 comment:

  1. They are adorable!! I hope Jude's feet heal quickly and completely!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011