slide show

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Day #78, Home Again, & Conference Review

"But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day." Habakkuk 2:3

We are finally home from the cabin. We stayed at the cabin, up in the cool mountains, for as long as possible, just over 2 months. Now we are back to the desert and home again. 104 degrees for a high today and honestly, everyone's talking how the heat isn't that bad right now! This immersion therapy has my body in shock, and daily I find myself melting into the car's leather seat during carpool. The dogs look at me funny as if to say I'm crazy if I suggest they go outside. Even the pool is a bit too warm to swim in. The cacti are faring wonderfully however.

And this week Papa and I sent our oldest child off to high school and our youngest child off to kindergarten. On day #2 of Kindergarten, Boo brushed me off with his elbow in my ribs and a whispered in my ear, "You can goooo now!" I relented and went. I think I was more excited than either of them, and now I find myself anxious for them to come home so I can ask them a zillion questions about their day. Do the math and that leaves the house empty of children for the first time in almost 15 years. You might think the quietness would be deafening or that I might welcome the missing little piles of sand that a preschooler frequently leaves around the house. But truth be told, I've been so so so busy that I haven't had a moment to notice any difference... yet.
On to the adoption updates...
Rumor has it that the U.S. CIS phone system at the HCMC consulate is out due to some unpaid phone bills. Honestly, I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

My assigned staffer in Senator Kyl's office continues to ignore my calls. I've called daily and faxed.
The phone conference with U.S. CIS in D.C. this afternoon was like nothing I had never participated in. I'm guessing there were about 40 participants including Department of State officials, immigration attorneys, adoption agency administrators, the acting director of the U.S. CIS dept of children services, many prospective adoptive parents, Senators, and one lowly soccer mom from Arizona! The U.S. CIS committed to completing all the waiting cases soon, but it did not promise approvals for everyone. The good news is that they committed adjudicating these cases very soon and to on going communication. (That's a FIRST!) In one brave moment in the Q&A, this lowly soccer mom got brave, turned off her mute, and boldly asked a question about prioritizing special needs cases. He prompted me to forward our case info to him directly, which I did within 30 minutes! AMAZINGLY I had a reply within 2 hours directly from the D.C. office saying they would get back to me by the end of the business day tomorrow... (2+ months of BEGGING for info and I've NEVER had a response. So this 2 hour response time was SHOCKING! But I'll still only believe it when I see it!) Rest assured, you'll find me not far from my computer's refresh button tomorrow. Not a guarantee of good news, but it was a commitment to ANY news, and I'll take that.
We thought that we might travel to North Carolina to attend a meeting with Senator Dole's office next Thursday, but with all the info from the conference, call we're still trying to process information.
Let me finish where I started... surely and slowly the vision will be fulfilled, and it will not be late by one single day. Breathe...

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you for speaking up! I hope you get not only answers, but action, SOON.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design by Deluxe Designs
all rights reserved. 2011